Monday, January 10, 2011

The Keeper


God is a keeper. He will keep you if you want to be kept. Despite the technological advances of today, we are yet living in perilous times. But in the midst of all of our hardships, disappointments, despair and even temptations, it is good to know that we serve a God who is able to keep us. Here are five ways that God is able to keep and watch over His people.

Keep you from falling: “Now unto Him who is able to keep you from falling. . .” (Jude 24) God can keep you from sin. And keep you from backsliding, preserve your reputation and keep you from going back to a life of sin. So in the midst of temptation, He’s able to keep you saved. I am reminded of Winans song of the 80s, “It’s good to know He’ll be there if ever I fall. But it’s better to know that I don’t have to fall at all.” The Lord can keep you from falling.

Keep your stuff: “Except the Lord build the house they labor in vain who build it. Except the Lord keep the city the watchman waits in vain.” (Psalms 127:1) I’m thankful for policeman, door locks, security systems, and alarms which are all good, but the Lord is the ultimate keeper. I can remember a number of occasions when I have left my garage door open having left my home, left my credit card at the restuarant, left the windows rolled down in my car in an unfamiliar neighborhood but God kept my stuff. So I am a witness that if you trust Him, he will keep, watch over and protect your property and personal items.

Keep you in your right mind: “Thou will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusts in Thee.” (Isaiah 26:3). When all around you is going crazy, God will give you peace in the midst of the storm as you keep your mind focused on God.

Keep you from evil: “But the Lord is faithful, who shall establish you, and keep you from evil.” (2 Thessalonians 3:3) Even in the midst of the valley of the shadow of death, there is no need to fear because God will protect and keep you from dangers seen and unseen.

Keep you in all your ways
: “For He shall give his angels charge over you to keep you in all your ways.” (Psalms 91:11) It matters not if you are at home, work, school, church, in your car, or performing various social functions and activities, God is able to keep you in all your ways as he gives His angels charge to watch over you. Indeed the gospel singer Andrae Crouch was right when he said “Got me some angels day and night watching over me.”

Without question, there are thousands of ways that God can keep and provide for His people. No wonder the psalmist David wrote, “I have been young, and now am old, yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken nor his seed begging bread.” (Psalms 37:25)

As I conclude, I am reminded of the words of an old gospel song that says-“Just another day that the Lord has kept me. He has kept me from all evil with my mind stayed on Him. Just another day that the Lord has kept me.” So as we rejoice in the Savior, let us also rejoice in the fact that He is - The Keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment