Saturday, January 4, 2014

Watch Your Mouth

James 3:2 "We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check."

When I was a child, I was often corrected for the things I said. When I complained because I could not get my way, or if I said mean things about others, or if I appeared disrespectful in my tone, or if I was bold enough to talk back (before she spanked me), my mom would say with a stern voice- Watch Your Mouth. But as adults, it is very rare that we have someone actually tell us to watch our mouths.

So today I would like to make an exception and ask everyone to watch their mouths.  Be careful what you say, when you say it, how you say it, and to whom you say it.  Put simply, Watch your mouth.  Without question, the slip of the tongue can cause damaging effects. In the 1988 Republican primary for president, the Vice President at that time and candidate George Bush said these words “Read my lips, no new taxes.”  He won the 1988 election but the statement likely caused him the re-election in 1992 because he did raise taxes.  Indeed the slip of the tongue can erase a lifetime of preparation if we are not careful. 
Such was the case for Greek Tripper Jumper Voula Papachristou who was prepared to realize her life long dream of competing in the 2012 London Olympics.  But what halted her participation was not an injury or competitor.  It was her mouth through a negative tweet.  

So Not only must we watch what we say, we must be careful what we say in writing, by email, place on facebook, twitter and all other forms of social media.  If we heed the recommendations of the Bible, we can make better decisions about our words. The following scriptures give sound advice on what comes out of our mouths.

James 1:26  Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. (NIV)

Proverbs 6:2 you have been trapped by what you said, ensnared by the words of your mouth. (NIV)
Psalm 34:13  keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies. (NIV)

I Peter 3:10 “Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech.
Proverbs 21:23 Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity.

So think before you speak.  Even in situations where you are right, choose your words carefully.  And by all means:  Watch your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment